Contact Us      Emergency (24 Hr) 07712 815169

Edward Hayes Lawyers Logo

Well, that’s my mum and dad sorted, but what about me……?

Indeed, what about the child? In many cases of separating couples, the children get caught up, whether intentionally or not, in the emotional turmoil between their parents on the breakdown of their relationship.

A child of separating parents can feel as if their world has been turned upside down and will experience a range of emotions including a sense of loss, anger, guilt, rejection, insecurity and often find themselves in the position of having to ‘choose’ between their carers. It is important that parents are equipped to address this wide range of emotions.

Resolution is holding its Dispute Resolution week 23-27 November 2015 and this year, the focus is on the helping those separating parents to help support their children through this painful and difficult process: ‘Putting Children First’. Resolution has provided a free leaflet ‘Separating Together’ which includes an insightful guide to help parents to support their children during the breakdown of the relationship.

If the parents need a bit of extra help to reach agreement about their children there are several services that can help.

The parents can attend Mediation where the Mediator, an independent person, will meet with the couple, preferably together, and will identify the issues they cannot agree on and help them to try and reach agreement.

The couple could also enter into the collaborative process to resolve their issues. Under the collaborative process, each person appoints their own collaboratively trained lawyer and the separating couple and each of their lawyers all meet together to things out face to face.

We can help with a referral to mediation and/or the collaborative law process. Contact the specialist family law solicitors at Edward Hayes on 01243 781431 for the Chichester office or 020 7353 0011 for London. Alternatively, visit the Edward Hayes contact page for details of our other offices around the country.

This entry was posted in Family Law and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Contact Us

Tel: 01903 288850
Tel: 01243 781431
Tel:  01243 672124
Emergency: 07712 815169
Fax: 020 7427 7391

Follow Us