Contact Us      Emergency (24 Hr) 07712 815169

Edward Hayes Lawyers Logo


Issues involving your children are often the most difficult matters for clients and naturally involve high emotion.

We are totally objective, professional and focused.  Our experts will handle your case with care and sensitivity.  As members of the Resolution and Law Society Children Panel, our experts specialise in dealing with these issues.

We frequently advise and represent children themselves as well as parents, grandparents, relatives and guardians. We are frank and professional in our approach.

Issues upon relationship breakdown

Building ongoing co-operation and communication between separating parents may initially be difficult, but it is vital for a child's emotional wellbeing.

Upon separation or divorce, the following issues may arise:
  • Where your children will live and how they will spend time with each parent and/or other family members
  • Where your child will go to school, medical treatment or name changes or other issues relating to parental responsibility
  • Financial issues, such as child maintenance
  • The role of each parent and other family members
A range of options is available to resolve such issues, including:
  • Mediation
  • Collaborative Law
  • Family therapy and counselling
  • Court
We are members of Resolution, the Law Society Children Panel and the Association of Lawyers for Children.

Shared Parenting Agreements

Shared Parenting Agreements are for separated parents or guardians who have reached an agreement for their own arrangements for children and who wish to have that agreement in writing.  These are for people who do not need or want to involve anyone else, including the court, in their family decisions.  It is an agreed and signed document which sets out clearly the intentions, the agreements and the practical day to day arrangements for the children.

There is no doubt that when the arrangements for children are agreed that they are the ones who will benefit the most. The Government recognises this and actively encourages parents and guardians to agree on how they are going to continue sharing the role of parents, but from separate households.  Having a Shared Parenting Agreement is a good way to do this.

Whilst a Shared Parenting Agreement cannot be enforced in the same way that a Court Order can, it does provide clear evidence in writing of what arrangements had been made and can help if there are disagreements in the future.

What can be included in a Shared Parenting

  • There is freedom of choice to set out the arrangements and what is important for the children.  We can advise you what would be the most appropriate based upon your family situation.  Shared Parenting Agreements usually deal with one or more of the following:
  • Residence - who the children live with and when
  • Day to day care - whether day to day care is shared equally or whether one will have more day to day care than the other
  • Contact - if one is to have day to day care of the children, then confirmation may be needed of the arrangements for the children to spend time with the other.  This can include holidays, birthdays and other special occasions.  
  • Financial support - whether financial support is agreed and the arrangements for that
  • Important issues - these can include important agreements around the children's care and/or upbringing and development such as their children's schooling, travel and their religion.

How can we help?

We have a team of specialist solicitors who are able to help and support those who feel their family would benefit from an agreement for the children.  Our solicitors are accredited by Resolution and the law Society Children Panel and have many years of experience in this area of work.  Contact us to discuss how we may help.

Parental Responsibility

If you have recently separated, whether you are married or living as an unmarried couple and you are facing a dispute with the mother or father of your child regarding decisions relating to your child's life, we can provide you with specialist advice.

In a marriage, both the mother and father are considered equally responsible for important decisions relating to their child.  However, the rules differ if your child was born to unmarried parents prior to 1 December 2003.  In this instance, the mother is automatically given full parental responsibility.

You may have a dispute or want to have an opportunity to input into key decisions that relate to your child, which may include:

  • Where the child lives
  • How they are educated
  • Medical treatment
  • Religion
  • Travel
  • Living abroad
Without parental responsibility, you cannot have input into these aspects.

We have experience of advising both divorced and separated couples in gaining parental responsibility agreements or, if you are the father of a separated unmarried couple, we can apply to the court to gain parental responsibility so that the father receives recognition in terms of parental responsibility.  The court will then take a number of aspects into account when considering whether to grant parental responsibility to the father.

This is a specialist field and we have experience to advise you in the optimal way to help you achieve the outcome you are seeking.  Contact us today to see how we can help.

We are experienced in dealing with complex children issues and international cases including abduction with removal from the UK. We deal with leading QCs and experts both in public and private law.

We are a strong and positive law firm and we will do our level best to negotiate an amicable and beneficial settlement for you. We do not shirk at the thought of taking court proceedings if necessary.  We can apply for a residence order to protect your child's residence with you.

  • If you are having difficulties seeing your children we can negotiate for you and if necessary apply to the Court for a Contact Order
  • If you are concerned about contact as a resident parent we can assist to ensure that your child's welfare is protected
  • If you are not married to the other parent of a child we can help you obtain a Parental Responsibility Order giving you legal recognition and involvement in the child's education, health and welfare
  • If you have concerns about your children being abducted or in relation to specific issues we can obtain a Prohibited Steps or Specific Issue Order

Social Services and Care Proceedings

We have particular expertise in this difficult area of work ranging from the most serious cases such as shaken baby syndrome and the most serious allegations of abuse through to special guardianship orders and support.

We have one of the largest teams of Law Society Children Panel Adult and Child representatives available to assist you in the country and we frequently represent children themselves in these proceedings.

We regularly act in proceedings where local authorities have applied for emergency protection orders, care orders or where parents apply for contact with children in care and discharge of care orders.  We also provide advice and assistance where children are voluntarily accommodated and will attend child protection conferences.  We are there to support and provide objective advice that will assist during difficult times.

Contact Us

Tel: 01903 288850
Tel: 01243 781431
Tel:  01243 672124
Emergency: 07712 815169
Fax: 020 7427 7391

Follow Us