Being prosecuted for a motoring offence, when most of us have never been in trouble with the police or the courts before, can be an extremely daunting prospect. Road traffic law is both vast and complex and the process can feel intimidating and alien. The potential consequences can be serious, from the risk of losing your licence, your job or even your liberty. Even a minor speeding conviction resulting in penalty points can cost you hundreds of pounds in increased insurance premiums.
Legal advice should be sought in all road traffic matters before you speak to the police, return a Notice of Intended Prosecution, go to court or plead guilty. Motoring offences are seldom straightforward and there is often something a solicitor can do to assist.
Funding and Motoring OffencesYou should be aware that legal aid is not generally available for motoring offences, unless they are of the more serious kind. Sadly, legal aid is not what it was and decent lawyers are not cheap! We recognise how difficult it is, when faced with impending court proceedings for a motoring offence, when so much is potentially at stake. It is essential that you receive the right advice from the start. We charge an hourly rate and these rates will vary depending on the experience and seniority of the lawyer you wish to instruct. It can often be difficult to accurately predict the total cost of a case from the outset since many factors can come into play which can have an effect on the complexity of the case. These factors can include the number of witnesses you have to support your defence, whether a medical or other expert needs to be instructed and whether complex legal or technical arguments need to be advanced. We keep you fully advised regarding the ongoing costs, and will fully advise you if additional work can be undertaken to strengthen your case.
In successful cases we will apply for a 'Defendant's Costs Order' which in most cases will result in a proportion, if not all, of your legal fees being recovered.
Our solicitors are used to dealing with all types of motoring offence, including:
- Causing death by dangerous driving
- Causing death by careless driving whilst under the influence of drink or drugs
- Dangerous driving
- Driving whilst disqualified
- Driving or attempting to drive whilst unfit through drink or drugs
- Being in charge of a motor vehicle whilst unfit through drink or drugs
- Failing to provide a specimen for analysis
- Driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence
- Failing to stop after an accident and give particulars or report an accident
- Driving a motor vehicle whilst uninsured or unsecured against third party risks
- Careless driving
- Failure of the registered keeper of the vehicle to give information of the identity of driver
- Tacograph offences
- All road haulage offences
- All speeding matters, cameras, Gatso, speed guns etc
- Document offences
Our solicitors are able to assist in all cases including those involving traffic light and road marking contravention, mobile phone use, excess weight and overloading, penalty points and totting up, exceptional hardship and special reasons.
Our experience is, we believe, unrivalled and we will fight your case. If you are facing a motoring charge call our dedicated Road Traffic Division today.